Let's Make Summer Pasta Salad with Tahini Dressing!
Instead of using mayo as dressing for your next summer pasta salad, try using roasted red pepper tahini dressing - a popular dressing in Israel! Also, it won't go bad in the summer heat.
- 10 oz MagNoodles or pasta of choice (feel free to use 1 pound of pasta)
- 3 red bell peppers, or combination of red, orange and yellow
- 1⁄4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup tahini (mix well before measuring)
- 1⁄3 cup reserved liquid from roasted peppers
- 2 tsp chopped fresh garlic
- 2 Tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley; reserve 1 Tbsp to top pasta before serving
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp pine nuts (optional)
- Cook pasta according to directions on package. Do not overcook. Rinse with cool water and put aside.
- Grill the peppers: preheat grill and place whole peppers on the grill, turning frequently until all sides are well-charred. Fill a large bowl with ice cubes and cold water. Remove peppers from the grill and plunge into ice water. Let them cool for 5-10 minutes, until their skins begins to peel away from the flesh. Peel peppers and remove all charred areas. Scoop out seeds and discard. Slice or break each pepper into 4 pieces and place set aside in a bowl. Save the liquid that collects from the peppers.
- Make the tahini dressing: in a food processor with chopping blade, spoon tahini, lemon juice, reserved liquid from peppers, garlic, 1 tablespoon parsley, and salt and pepper to taste. Whir until smooth. Add the peppers and blend until combined with tahini.
- Right before serving, place pasta in a large serving bowl and toss with approximately 1⁄2 cup of tahini dressing. Coat pasta well and top with chopped parsley and pine nuts. Serve at room temperature.
Notes: This dressing may be made 2 days in advance. Because tahini thickens as it rests, do NOT dress the pasta until you are ready to serve it. If dressing seems too thick, add 1 tablespoon of water or lemon juice at a time, and stir until the texture resembles a cream-based salad dressing. You’ll have plenty of tahini left over after coating your pasta. It will last 4-5 days in the refrigerator.