Delicious and quick patty melts made using hearty rye bread.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 6 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 6 slices rye bread
- 6 slices sharp Cheddar cheese
- Season ground beef with salt and pepper and divide into 3 equal-sized balls. Shape each ball as close as possible to the shape of the bread. Make an indentation in the center of each patty with your thumb.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat and cook onion until soft and translucent, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from the skillet and divide into 3 equal portions. Place beef patties into the same skillet and cook until desired doneness, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, spread 1 teaspoons mayonnaise on one side of each slice of bread.
- Place bread mayonnaise side-down in the skillet. Top with 1 slice of cheese, 1 beef patty, 1/3 of the onions, a second slice of cheese, and another slice of bread, mayonnaise side up. Cook bread until golden brown and cheese has started to melt, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip each sandwich over and cook an additional 3 to 4 minutes.